I have seen children who have dealt with stress and tension from many different sources including parental discord, divorce, sibling difficulties, grief, domestic violence, abuse or neglect, foster and adoption transitions, school violence, and bullying. I accompany children on their journey toward emotional health through offering tools and coping skills. I utilize an array of modalities within the play therapy umbrella to support your child. It is important for me to meet your child where they are at in their process. and techniques including trauma informed play therapy, art therapy, sand tray therapy
What is Play Therapy?
Play therapy refers to a large number of treatment methods, all applying the therapeutic benefits of play. I use trauma-informed play therapy, art therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, and sand tray therapy techniques. Play therapy helps children to address and resolve their challenges and builds on the natural way that children learn about themselves and their relationships in the world around them. Play is the primary method of learning and growth for children so meeting them in their natural arena helps to unpack issues that they are dealing with.
APT defines play therapy as the “systematic use of a theoretical model to establish an interpersonal process wherein trained play therapists use the therapeutic powers of play to help clients prevent or resolve psychosocial difficulties and achieve optimal growth and development.”
Play therapy helps children:
- Become more responsible for their behaviors and develop more successful strategies
- Develop new and creative solutions to problems
- Develop respect and acceptance of self and others
- Learn to experience and express emotion
- Cultivate empathy and respect for thoughts and feelings of others
- Learn new social skills and relational skills with family
- Develop self-efficacy and a better assuredness about their abilities
If you’re interested in learning more about play therapy and how it can help your child grow, contact me today for a 30 minute complimentary consultation.